Saturday, January 24, 2009

Get in! the Water's Freezing Marketing Note

I believe a great way to get new insights is by being alert and just looking around for clues and messages. Last Sunday I went to Carlsbad's Ponto Beach for a walk midmorning. The tide was going out so the sand was smooth, wet and hard. There weren't many people yet -- so when a young boy around 11 years old came mad dashing from his folk's car straight to the waves with his skim board posed to fly on the sand with incoming surf, I had to stop and watch. When he hit the water, he screamed, "It's coooooooooooooold! It's freezing!" He ran from the waves, and I thought well that's that. Instead he spun around and looked to where his parents were and another boy. He yelled at the top of his lungs, "Heh, Aaron let's go! Get in here. This is a blast!" Off he went back into the cold surf.

Here's the insight I got. Picture today's business owner screaming, "OMG It's a recession! It's an awful downturn!" Does that person take the "Well, I'll just get out and spare myself of the discomfort of dealing with it," or do they, like the young boy, yell "Heh, let's get going, there have to be opportunities here! Let's go!" Let's use the adrenaline rush of excitement and fear to create more opporutnities in our businesses while calling out to others to do the same.

No comments: